The Black Bear Chalet
This larger than it seems log home actually has a 21’ ceiling, open floor plan, beautiful looks, and is one of our most popular models. It offers big bang for the buck, comfortable living, and really lets the light in with lots of big glass. 8” hand peeled wall logs standard, but some pick 9″ or even 10″ for high elevation, cold winters. Comes with everything like LowE glass windows and doors, deck, etc. With 8″ wall logs, without a basement at 1120 square feet, is appx. 64K, or on a basement, actually getting up there, at 1960′ and appx. 69K as shown. Figure 2 bedrooms if on a frostwall, 4 if on a basement, 2 or 3 bath. Final bid price depends on log wall size, lumber and materials market at time of purchase, and your customized design.
Just another of the many ways to customize the Black Bear Chalet. This shows our rock flagstone for the basement and timber siding, together, adding about $1500 to the package price, while providing a really nice touch that compliments the home. All interior partition wall framing and interior trim (totally complete package) only add about $1400 more to the entire 3 floors to finish the home nicely, even in the basement.
The Black Bear shown above has an extended 16’
deck,and extended roof with truss, add about 3K.
The Black Bear shown above has an extended 16’ deck, and extended roof with truss, add about 3K.
Click Here to Find Out What Our Complete Packages Include
Our Packages Include (depending on the final plan and materials list customized by you)
* Starting at the concrete, we include everything you need to build this full log home - sill seal, treated lumber plate, double fir heavy rim joists, either dimensional or I joist main floor joist system, depending on size and plan, log or laminated beams throughout, (your choice), weatherproof subfloor, beautiful premium 1x8 T&G hard fir main flooring, double kiln dried (just sand and clear it), all 16’ long. 2x6 T&G SPF loft flooring too, over full log floor joists, so you look up at T&G and log joists from the main floor! This is custom hand selected premium flooring with no wane edges, and is the best floor money can buy for a log home, and since we buy hundreds of thousands of feet of it and use it on all our homes, we can sell it for less than $2. a foot, and include it in every package!
* We use massive character posts (big, natural trees) for our king posts in the basement and main floor, up to the roof. We include beautiful peeled and assembled railing for the balcony, stairs and deck. Deck post can be character logs, or accurate turned and then peeled posts, no charge.
* All windows are included. These are bid with full low E glass, dual pane insulated almond colored (can be other colors or types optionally) and from major manufacturers like JeldWen, Cascade, Alpine/Alside (depends on local delivery and warranty).
* All exterior doors are included, with insulated tempered glass, pre-hung, french or sliding double doors, and full or half glass pre-hung single doors (per plan). Options here include internal blinds, woods, iron, etc.
* Porch rafters in natural rough cut exposed beams, with T&G on top (instead of sheathing), resting on full log header beams. Main roof has lighter, strong I-joist wide flange, with typically an 117/8 x 2.5”, mid series for strength. This allows full R-40 when done in ceiling. Ridge log is big, with a hidden laminated beam above in the rafter area for triple the ridge strength for heavy snow loads. Standard. We now include the interior ceiling of the main roof area in T&G PPLP (ponderosa / lodgepole pine), the best looking wood we have seen (same as our exterior sofft).
* We include a special construction adhesive for between each row of logs. This not only strengthens the wall, but also prevents the cope or log from torquing in the wall. This also totally eliminates unsightly chinking and tightens the home. Did we mention we design your home totally free?
* Zinc coated heavy lag bolts for the logs, with USS flat washers along with special hardened torx head log screws for tight areas, stairs and starter logs. This helps make our walls the strongest log wall on the market.
* Log deck posts for the deck structure, outer double joists and trim band, joists for the deck, metal joist hangers, final select fir decking lumber, all 16’ long and beautiful. Everything you see in the pics, less concrete/roofing.
* Roof sheathing is included, as is 1x8” T&G soffit, and custom 1.5x14” sawn wood fascia and 1x4 shadow board, both rough cut to trim out the roofline. Add your own metal or 3d shingle, as we don’t purchase final roofing (too many personal colors and choices, and we can only save you money if you are in Canada (shipping and import savings), as Montana does not produce roofing.
* Window and door trim in custom 1.5x5.5” rough sawn, and all exterior trim is included. We also include colored metal flashing for the floor to log joint. We include all blocking needed.
The only thing that is not standard, and needed to finish the whole structure, (while sometimes we include if requested) is: interior trim boards & interior partition walls!! (interior bearing walls included) On a 2000’ home this adds around 1500 bucks. Our framing is all select, so you use each piece, not having to waste anything or look for good boards. Trim would be typically rough sawn face, with planed wood for sills, and could be routered or orbital sanded lightly to taste if needed, depending on final finish desired. Leave natural for rustic. We can include this if desired, most of our customers do. Remember, every bid is custom to your final plan and the home you have modified or left as is. The normal things we reduce in quantity or remove easily from our bids are windows, doors (sometimes family members sell their own products to you, etc.), and final flooring on the main floor (for tile or rock areas). Some customers have us add in basement rock and the hand-hewn timber siding (shown on some models), at about $2. per square foot of wall! Some have us do our full profile log siding (looks like our logs) for current garages or buildings to help match up existing structures to your new log home!